Saturday, February 23, 2013

Skillet Black Bean Lasagna

Our vegetarian meal for the week.  This recipe comes from the Christmas cookbook from my mom, the $5 Dinner Mom one.  We had this with corn bread, because even though it says lasagna, which is Italian and would normally call for garlic bread on the side, the spices in the recipe sounded more Mexican, so I made it with corn bread.  Weirdly, Nathan randomly asked me this morning when we could have cornbread again.  So it also seemed like I was supposed to make corn bread to go with it.  Meant to be, almost.

Skillet Black Bean Lasagna
3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 15 oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 oz) corn kernels, drained (I used 1 cup frozen)
1 can (4 oz) green chilies, undrained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
6 lasagna noodles, broken into 1 inch pieces (little pieces of noodle flying everywhere...wear safety goggles if you have them)
2 cups hot water
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream for serving, optional (and omitted by me)

In a large skillet, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, and green chilies.  Mix in the cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat and add the broken lasagna noodles and hot water.  Gently stir the mixture and press the lasagna pieces down into the liquid.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring once.  When the pasta is al dente, uncover the mixture and top with the cheese.  Cook another 2-3 minutes over low heat to allow the cheese to melt.

Okay when I saw this recipe, I thought it would be a good vegetarian meal.  I thought I would like it okay.  But I didn't expect to like it so much.  Seriously it was so good!  And with such simple ingredients!  Good enough to serve vegetarian dinner guests.  We loved it.  We will definitely have this again.  I already copied it for my keeper book.

No comments: