Saturday, September 1, 2012

BBQ Potato, Bacon, & Corn Salad

Here we are at the start of September!  So excited to start making soups again, and yummy fall things.  I made these recipes last week, but been too busy to post them.  So by all rights they should be under August.  But oh well.  So this recipe is another one from the Back of the Box Cookbook.  The featured ingredients are the ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, dijon mustard, and bacon (all Kraft products, and I didn't buy any of the ones they wanted me to...).  I detest mayo.  So a potato salad recipe without it is right up my alley.  I already have one that uses potatoes, leeks, and Italian dressing.  But this one sounded good, too.  We had it with "meat on a stick" as the kids say, which was smoked sausage, pineapple, green pepper, and potatoes with a pineapple/brown sugar glaze on skewers.  A good end-of-summer type meal.

BBQ Potato, Bacon, & Corn Salad
1/3 cup ranch dressing
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
2 tbsp dijon mustard
3 lbs small red potatoes, quartered and cooked
11 oz can corn, drained (I used leftover fresh corn)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
1/2 cup diced red onion
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Mix dressing, barbecue sauce, and mustard in a large bowl.  Add all remaining ingredients except bacon; mix lightly.  Sprinkle top with crumbled bacon.  Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

When you are boiling the potatoes, make sure you don't cook them til they're TOO soft.  I cooked them too long because I got distracted, and when I was stirring them with the other ingredients, the potatoes got a little "mashy."  It didn't affect the taste though.  Steve & I thought this was great.  Definitely one I'll keep and make again, but I'll have to make it to bring to parties and picnics, because (predictably) the kids weren't too keen on this one. 

No comments: