Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Apple-Glazed Pork Chops

We had this for dinner on Monday night. It was in a section of the Simple & Delicious magazine for indoor grills. Well, we have a George Foreman grill that I got at a yard sale when I was pregnant with Nathan and we hadn't used it yet (so it's been 3 years in my cupboard). So I thought this would be a good recipe to try it out on. It's from S&D Jan/Feb 2009.

Apple-Glazed Pork Chops
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
4 boneless pork chops
2 tbsp apple jelly

Combine the first eight ingredients; rub over both sides of pork chops. Cook in batches on an indoor grill coated with cooking spray for 5 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat jelly until warmed; brush over pork chops. 4 servings.

So Steve really liked these, I thought they were okay. They were just too seasoned for the kids. They weren't spicy, just extremely flavorful. The kids thought they were spicy; I think the paprika that turned the chops red made them think it was spicy. And let me tell you why this George Foreman grill was in a yard sale: They are awful to clean. I sprayed it with cooking spray like it said to do...still the stuff got so caked on it was ridiculous. Oh, and by the way you cannot immerse it in water because of the cord. So you just have to tilt it over the sink and try to scrub it that way. I almost threw it away. If Steve hadn't been right there I would have. It would have been a disposable grill. We throw away stuff more sophisticated than that after just one use at the hospital, plus I got the grill for free so we would have been out nothing. But it goes against Steve's nature to throw away anything (really he is such a packrat) that there was no way he was going to let me throw away a working appliance. He even tried to be helpful and chip off the black stuff with one of those pampered chef scrapers. All that did was get black chips all over the counter and the floor that I had just mopped. I told him to stop stop STOP and he did and just let me finish it. I will keep the grill, until he is not looking, but I will not keep this recipe.

No comments: