Thursday, April 8, 2010

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

This one is again from the crock pot cookbook I got for Christmas. After having such large quantities the last few recipes I tried, I decided to halve this recipe so I didn't have a ton of leftovers. I will give you the recipe in it's regular format, which according to this, serves 12-14.

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 18 oz bottle barbecue sauce (I always use Sweet Baby Ray's--so good)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
12-14 sandwich rolls

Sprinkle chicken with celery salt, seasoned salt, and pepper. Place onions in bottom of 5-6 quart slow cooker and top with chicken and garlic. In medium bowl, combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste, honey, and Italian seasoning; mix well. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until chicken is cooked. Using two forks, shred chicken in the sauce. Serve on split and toasted sandwich rolls.

Sam was very excited about this. He thought they were sloppy joes, and he continued to be excited and think that through the meal, so I just let him think that. It's just semantics anyway, right? A rose by any other name and all that. Steve loved it. I thought it was okay. The sauce had a tang to it that I wasn't sure about. But overall a good meal. We had it with frozen french fries (which I cooked) and green beans.

No comments: