Friday, April 17, 2009

Soy and Sesame Pork

We just had this tonight for supper. It turned out SO good. It tasted like something you could get in a restaurant. No really it did. I'm not being braggy because I didn't make up this recipe, I just followed directions to get it. It's from the cookbook Mom gave me for Christmas, Better Homes and Gardens 5 Ingredient Favorites (usually known, to me at least, as BH & G 5 IF...because I am too lazy to type that everytime...but now that this blog goes on Facebook I wanted to reiterate my sources so no one thinks I'm plagiarizing...is that how it's spelled? You know...copying someone else's work and taking the credit...I'm not doing that).

Soy and Sesame Pork
1 1-pound pork tenderloin
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (I used regular because that's what's in the fridge and I didn't want to buy reduced-sodium for the sake of 1/4 cup...plus historically I do not like things are reduced-anything)
1 tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 to 3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (you toast them by putting them on a baking sheet either in the regular oven or toaster oven @ 350 for like 3-5 minutes)

Trim fat from the meat. Place meat in large ziploc bag. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, and garlic powder. Pour marinade over meat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain meat, discarding marinade. Place meat in shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, @ 325 for 45 to 60 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 155. Cover meat with foil and let stand for 10 minutes (the meat's temp will rise 5 degrees during standing). Sprinkle sesame seeds onto a piece of foil. Carefully roll meat in sesame seeds. Cut meat into thin slices.

So like I said, a big hit. Even Nathan and Emma ate it. The meat was so moist and tender. The sesame seeds were a big plus for me (I love them) but Sam said that was the only part he didn't like. Emma and Nathan were like "what are these" and Steve said "It's just part of the recipe--Eat it." They did. This is definitely a keeper. Good enough for company even. One thing to note is that the Wal-mart, where I buy almost everything, only had pork tenderloin prepackaged in 1.7 lb sizes...so I made a bit more marinade to make sure. This came out a bit Chinese-y so if your family doesn't like that flavor then steer clear. But we all liked this one!!

No comments: