Sunday, July 5, 2009

Garlic Roast Beef Sandwiches

This is one of those recipes that I look at the picture and know it's not going to be a healthy one, but it looks and sounds so yummy that I can't resist...it's from Simple & Delicious July/Aug 2009. We had it for lunch on Friday, when Steve had the day off from work.

Garlic Roast Beef Sandwiches
1 loaf (10 oz) frozen garlic bread (don't buy the kind with cheese already on it)
1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms (left these out due to their slimy grossness)
2/3 cup sliced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
4 tsp butter
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 lb shaved deli roast beef (I just bought the Hillshire Farms Deli Selects...the kind that comes in Glad Ware...it was $3 and it's cooked...we don't like rare roast beef)
6 slices colby cheese (they didn't have this pre-sliced at Wal-mart, and to buy it at the deli it was $7 per lb...yikes...we are not cheese connoisseurs by any means (as evidenced by the fact that I cannot even spell that word) so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to use the American cheese we already had at home. I was right)

Bake garlic bread according to pkg directions. Meanwhile, in a large sillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in the butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in worcestershire sauce. Layer each half of garlic bread with roast beef, vegetable mixture, and cheese. Return to oven; bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Slice and serve immediately. 6 servings

Well, they didn't have 10 oz frozen garlic bread @ Wal-mart, they only had 16 oz. But I didn't double the amount of the rest of the recipe and it was still fine. We still have half of this left over, which I am planning to serve for lunch today. Some of it I made without onions for Samuel (I didn't even try this with the younger two); he only ate the meat and cheese and left the garlic bread behind, saying he wasn't that hungry, which is what he usually says when he doesn't like something but doesn't want to hurt my feelings (he is such a sweet boy). Steve and I really liked it. It was messy to eat but tasted really good. A nice change for lunch sometime. It's a keeper.

No comments: