Thursday, May 30, 2013

Quadruple Chocolate Chunk Cookies

This is the second recipe I marked from the latest Simple & Delicious.  I would not have made this cookie, but Sam was thumbing through the magazine while we were driving and he begged me to make them. To avoid a sugar coma in our family, I made them for home fellowship.

Quadruple Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa (I did a bit of research on this and ultimately ended up using the Nestle cocoa powder I already had on hand, which is natural-process)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white baking chips, chopped (I didn't chop them)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, chopped (I didn't chop these, either)
1 cup chopped Oreo cookies (about 10 cookies)(I did chop these)
1 Hershey's cookies and cream candy bar (1.55 oz), chopped (really???  but I did buy, and chop, this)

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.  Stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.  Bake 6-8 minutes or until set.  Cool on pans 1 minute.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Store in airtight container.

Okay, the dough was pretty good.  I love cookie dough and I usually consume an amount sufficient that the baked cookie looks unappealing to me, at least that day.  However, in the interest of research, I did eat a baked cookie at home fellowship.  To me, there was way too much going on in that cookie.  I suspected I would feel that way, but I thought the kids there would all like them.  A fellow mom tried one (and then perhaps another), also in the interest of research, and we determined that the Oreos were too much.  All the other things, okay.  But the Oreos pushed it over the edge.  As much as I like research, I will not be making this recipe again, sans Oreos, to see if we were right. 

No comments: