Friday, May 31, 2013

Rosemary Chicken with Red Potatoes and Green Beans

It's getting hot out there!  We just got back from Florida, and it's a nice feeling to step outside and have it be HOT!  It's nice that it cools down at night, too, though, so we don't have to roast, since we don't have central AC.  This is a good day to throw something in the crock pot.  We had to run errands this afternoon over by Texas Roadhouse.  I love the smell of that place.  It is enough to make me change my mind about spending $$ on food, but not if I already have something yummy in the crock pot.  On another subject, have you ever seen or read Rosemary's Baby?  Scary stuff.  I usually think of that when I use rosemary.  This recipe is from $5 Dinner Mom.

Rosemary Chicken with Red Potatoes and Green Beans
3 rosemary sprigs
2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs (it didn't say to remove the skin so I kept it on)
6 small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1 lb fresh green beans, stems removed

Using a sharp knife, crush the leaves of the rosemary sprigs (this allows the aromatic oil to release as it cooks).  Place the rosemary sprigs around the edges of the bottom of a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

Arrange chicken in bottom of slow cooker.  Spread the potatoes and onions over the chicken.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Cook on low for 8 hours (I did high for 4-5 hrs because I didn't throw this all in the crock pot until after lunch).  When 1 hour remains in cook time, place green beans on top of vegetables in crock pot to steam them.  Cook for remaining hour (I did 30 minutes since it was on high).  4 servings.

 This came out so good!  It even looks good in the crock pot, which is rare for a crock pot recipe.  You could faintly taste the rosemary in all the ingredients, but it wasn't overpowering.  I already copied this one into my keeper book.  But next time I make it I will double it.  This was exactly 4 servings, so that dinner mom is not kidding.  The 4th chicken thigh I split between the two youngest, but both of them would have liked more of the chicken.  And all that's left over are a few potatoes and 5 green beans, and we like leftovers in this house.  So plan accordingly if you have little carnivores like we do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo good and easy! I lost the recipe and went online to look for it again!
De-LISH!!

Cassie said...

Shared with my readers and pointed them here for directions. Thanks for the recipe!