Friday, September 13, 2013

Turkey Bundles

This is supposed to be a recipe you can use with turkey leftovers, but I didn't want to wait for that.  This is from the fall issue of Simple & Delicious, and it has a lot of Thanksgiving stuff in it.  I used chicken instead of turkey.  It starts with Pillsbury crescent dough, which I don't usually buy.  But these just sounded so yummy I wanted to try them.


Turkey Bundles
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts (I left these out)
1 green onion, chopped
2 tubes (one 8 ounces, one 4 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls (I didn't see these in 4 oz cans, so I used two 8 oz cans...after I used up all the filling, I just made the usual crescent rolls with the rest of the dough
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until smooth. Stir in turkey, water chestnuts and green onion.

Unroll both tubes of crescent dough and separate dough into six rectangles; press perforations to seal. Place 1/3 cup turkey mixture in center of each rectangle. Bring four corners of dough together above filling; twist and pinch seams to seal. Place on a baking sheet. Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.

These were tasty.  A couple of problems...#1 what to serve with them.  They are not big enough to be a meal on their own. I had some potatoes left from another recipe, so we had mashed potatoes with it.  Seems like too much starch though.  Problem #2...they were browned on top as in the picture after 15 minutes.  The fam doesn't really like things too browned, so I took them out.  Unbeknownst to me, they were still a bit doughy in the middle.  I think if I made these again, I would reduce to heat to 350 and leave them in a bit longer.

No comments: