Friday, December 30, 2016

One-Pan Chicken Rice Curry

Guys, I can't believe how long it's been since I posted.  Borderline crazy.  It's like I don't even cook any more.  Wrong.  I've been cooking BUT I've been busy.  Lame excuse.  Mostly cooking gluten free now, but don't let that stop you from reading or trying the recipes, because most of them I adapt from regular gluten recipes.  I got 3 new cookbooks for Christmas.  I've marked them all up and plan to make lots of crazy new things.  But this recipe is a tame thing.  Good for a weeknight.  We had it Wednesday night.  It's from Dec/Jan Simple & Delicious.

Looks a little colorless.  Like I should have added green beans or peas or something.  But I didn't.  Here's the recipe:

One-Pan Chicken Rice Curry
2 tbsp butter, divided
1 med onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 tbsp flour (regular all purpose flour or GF blend...I use Bob's Red Mill in the blue bag for most things)
3 tsp curry powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth (or 2 cups homemade)
1 cup uncooked instant rice

In nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium-high heat; saute onion til tender and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes.  Remove to plate.

Mix flour and seasonings; toss with chicken.  In same pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp butter over med-high heat.  Add chicken; cook until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally.

Stir in broth and add back onion; bring to a boil.  Stir in rice.  Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.  Mixture will be saucy.  4 servings

Ok so a couple of modifications I made...we have 5 or 6 people at most meals, so I increased the chicken to about 1.5lbs...you could throw some cooked veggies in there though to stretch it for less money.  I also used instant brown rice, so once I added the rice in, I covered it and reduced the heat to low for 5 minutes, then stirred the rice and left it on low for 5 more minutes.

This would be dairy free if you used oil instead of butter :)

Easy and yummy.  And the onions are big enough for the kids to eat around ;)  which always happens here.

No comments: