Friday, December 14, 2007

Farmer's Breakfast

Hi girls! Wednesday night we had this. But we almost never have breakfast for breakfast. At least not this involved. We usually have it for supper. This is the first one from the Better Homes & Gardens 75 Years of All-Time Favorites. You may or may not have noticed that I am not really a Better Homes & Gardens kind of girl. This cookbook was a gift. From the O'Prays, whom some of you may remember from New York. Anyway it was pretty good.

Farmer's Breakfast
2 tbsp cooking oil (as opposed to...motor oil?)
2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers (I couldn't find these, so I just got the diced potatoes and added onion separately)
1 cup diced cooked ham
6 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't think this was enough and used about 1/2 cup)

Coat large skillet with the oil. Add potatoes in a single layer. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring once. Stir in ham. Combine eggs and water and pour over ham-potato mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until eggs are just set, turning mixture occasionally with a wide spatula. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.

This stuck to the pan really bad. I bet a whole egg was burnt onto the bottom of the pan. So maybe medium is too high on my stove, I don't know. I didn't "Pam" the pan, but I did use oil, so I'm not sure why this happened. Anyway Emma didn't like how the eggs and ham were touching. Sam liked it. So did Steve & I. I wasn't so crazy about it just because it was frustrating how bad it stuck. And, is it supposed to be like a huge omelet when it's done, or is it supposed to be like a big scramble? Ours ended up like a big scramble because if I had left it until it was like a big omelet it would've burned even worse. So I wasn't going to keep this one, but Steve wanted to. So now it's in the permanent file. Maybe some of you will have better luck. Anyway have a good day and I'll talk to you soon!!

No comments: