Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sugar-Crusted French Toast

And that was the only crusted part. This was soggy soggy soggy. I almost doubled it, because the original recipe was only for 6 slices of bread, and that would only feed like me and Steve, not all of us (plus we had my sister's little girl that night, too). But I couldn't fit 12 pieces of bread in the 9x13 pan, so I did 10, but still doubled the eggs and milk....so that may have contributed to the sog factor. Well, here it is anyway, in it's not-doubled format

Sugar-Crusted French Toast
6 1-inch slices french bread
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I just used the cinnamon/sugar I already had instead of mixing this new)

In small bowl, beat together eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Place bread in 2 quart baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread, turn to coat. Refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes or until egg mixture is absorbed. In a large skillet or on a griddle melt the 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook bread on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet. Brush tops of bread with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Broil 4 inches from heat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or just until sugar is carmelized.

So there you have it. I am most likely not making this again, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Maybe if you just try it like it is and don't double it or something.

No comments: