Monday, December 17, 2007

Jiffy Orange Pancakes

As you may or may not be able to tell, I am in the breakfast section of this cookbook. This is the third and final recipe from this section. These were good, and if you are in need of a pancake recipe I would recommend it. However, I already have a great from-scratch pancake recipe that costs way less than this one, so I am not going to replace it. But it was good.

Jiffy Orange Pancakes
1 beaten egg
1 cup half and half or light cream (they said don't try to substitute milk because they did and they came out tough)(the pancakes, not the kitchen testers)
6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup packaged regular pancake mix (not complete mix)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter, cut up (I put mine in whole and nothing bad happened)

Combine egg, half and half, and 1/4 cup of the orange juice concentrate. Add pancake mix. Stir until just combined but still slightly lumpy. Cook pancakes like you know you're supposed to (they have a long explanation but I'm assuming everyone knows how to do this. If not, see me after class). For sauce, in small saucepan combine sugar, butter, and other 1/2 cup of orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Serve the warm sauce over the pancakes (on each person's plate, not over the whole stack that you just made). Makes about 16 pancakes.

I doubled the recipe for the pancake part because I always burn a few and even if I hadn't, I knew 16 wouldn't be enough. But I only 1 1/2'd the sauce because I only had so much orange juice concentrate, but I had a lot of sauce left, so I think even if you double the pancakes you shouldn't double the sauce. Everyone loved the pancakes (except hapless Nathan. I didn't dare give him one). Emma wouldn't try the sauce though. Sam tried it but for his second helping had maple syrup. Steve had maple syrup on his 3rd serving =) So like I said, good but not good enough to replace my old standard. Talk to you guys soon!!

No comments: