Monday, August 25, 2008

Chewy Brownie Cookies

I made these cookies today while Nathan was sleeping...I got the recipe from a pack of Crisco sticks...weird, huh? But my kids all love brownies so I knew these would be a hit. And they were. Steve hasn't even gotten home yet to try one, but I still know they are a keeper because of the great response from the little ones...of course since it is a Crisco recipe, it does contain Crisco, which I'm pretty sure is bad for you...it does have less saturated fat than butter (according to the Crisco people) but I happen to know that to turn fat solid like that you have to make it be evil trans fat...this is two desserts in a row with Crisco...I will have to broaden my dessert horizons a bit here before we all die of hardening of the arteries...how young do your kids have to be the start them on the aspirin-a-day regimen?



Chewy Brownie Cookies
2/3 cup (2/3 stick) Crisco shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips


Heat oven to 375. Combine Crisco, brown sugar, water, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat eggs into creamed mixture. Combine flour, cocoa, soda, and salt. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time @ 375 for 7-9 minutes or until cookies are set. Do not overbake. Cookies will appear soft and moist. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to cooling rack or sheets of foil to cool completely. About 3 dozen cookies.


So I personally like brownies the best when they are still batter. Once they are baked they lose 94% of their charm. So I was hoping these would be a bit more like batter, since it does say they are "chewy." But they were mostly a cookie-like texture with a chocolate flavor. The chocolate chips were a nice touch. So these are a good, but should be a rare, treat.

No comments: