Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

So these have a lovely picture by them as well, and I knew Steve would just love these. And I was right. They are quite good, and I'm sure they are also quite bad for you...but they were a hit, and we only have things like this like every couple weeks or so...that's probably still too often. But I love to bake so I guess that ends the argument. They are kind of like whoppie pies, except with cookies instead of cakey like things, and peanut butter filling. From TOH pg 562.

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
1 cup butter flavored shortening (see how bad?)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (I accidentally put 1/2 tsp and you can't even tell)
Filling:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 tbsp milk

In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/8 inch thickness with fork (how precise...I certainly did not measure...just do it until it looks right). Bake @ 375 for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool. For filling, in large mixing bowl, beat peanut butter, sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies and top each with another cookie. Yield: 2 dozen sandwich cookies.

So anyway these were good. Emma helped me make them which is always fun. Nathan had two cookies without filling when he woke up from his nap and really liked them. Steve came home from work and had one and declared that now he loved me more (more than he did previously, or more than someone else, I am not sure. But either way I'm ahead). So these are a keeper!!

No comments: