Sunday, June 21, 2009

Chicken and Shells Soup

So Steve is off in Haiti again but I didn't want to miss more weeks of New Recipe Night since I already missed some by going to New Hampshire last week...anyway I have often said that cooking for my children is like painting for a blind man, because they just do not appreciate it! So last night my sister and my parents came over and we had this and it was a great chance to try the recipe. My mom loves soup, my dad could take it or leave it, but hey I can't please everyone here! It's from my sister's cookbook Better Homes & Gardens 365 Last-Minute Meals.

Chicken and Shells Soup
2 14 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth (I used full sodium)
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning, crushed (my sister crushed it by putting it the palms of her hands and smooshing them together)
1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic
12 oz skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces (I precooked the chicken and cubed it, but you could cut it up raw and add it that way, that's how the recipe says to)
3/4 cup dried small shell macaroni (couldn't find small shell in Wal-mart or Hannaford. I ended up using mini bowties)
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (2)(I left this out because a package of green onions has like 20 in it and it seemed wasteful to buy them for only (2))

In a medium saucepan combine chicken broth, italian seasoning, and garlic; bring to a boil. Add chicken and pasta. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 9 minutes or until pasta is tender and chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add frozen peas and green onion; cook about 2 minutes more or until peas are crisp-tender. 4 servings.

I doubled the recipe to feed 4 adults and 4 children, still have about 1 1/2 servings' worth leftover. My mom said a few times that it was good soup. My dad didn't say anything. But at least he didn't say "Let's not have this again real soon" which is what he tells my mom when he doesn't really like something new. Can't remember exactly what Jessica said, she can add her own comments on facebook anyway once it's posted, but I do know she ate it. The kids did about as well as I would expect, and that's all I can say about that. I will keep this one though because it was quite easy and very tasty.

We had this with french bread that Hannaford had nicely presliced for us. Jess laid the bread out on a cookie sheet, spread the tops with butter, sprinkled with garlic powder and shredded cheese. Mmmmmm. So good. Dad had 3 pieces of the bread so we know he liked that at least!

No comments: