Monday, June 15, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatball Skewers

I made this last week before we went to New Hampshire but then got too busy to post it. I doubled the recipe and made some for us and some for friends of ours that had just had a baby. Because one of their girls really likes meatballs and sausages and stuff like that. The recipe is from Kraft Food & Family Summer 2009. It says to make it on the grill, which I'm sure you could, but I just made it in the oven using a broiler pan and the broiler. Steve wasn't home and I never grill alone (mostly because I don't know how to even turn it on).

Sweet and Sour Meatball Skewers
32 frozen fully cooked 1-inch meatballs (1 pound), thawed
1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
1/4 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (of course I used Sweet Baby Ray's)

Heat grill to medium high heat. Thread meatballs and peppers alternately onto 8 skewers (if you are using wooden skewers you should soak them in water for a few minutes first so they don't ignite when you put them on the grill or in the oven). Microwave jam in small microwaveable bowl on high 15 seconds. Stir in barbecue sauce. Brush half on kabobs. Grill 8 to 10 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining jam mixture the last 2 minutes. I put them under the broiler for like 4 minutes, turned them, then put more jam mixture on them. Some of the meatballs got pretty charred and the second batch (which was our family's) the sticks got pretty toasted. But there's only one setting for the broiler, so...anyway B Rad said it was a hit with his family but I never got to ask B Autumn directly. Hopefully she will post a comment once this is on facebook. She can be brutally honest...you guys want the truth, right? Anyway if I made these again I think I might add pineapple in or something. These were pretty good though. Even though no one at my house ate the peppers...we just ate the meatballs. But still good.

No comments: