Thursday, May 28, 2009

Texas Chili Made Easy

And they were not kidding. This was so so easy and fast. And it tasted really good, as good as if you tried all day. It's from my sister's cookbook BH & G 365 Last Minute Meals. I am starting at the front of the book and making my way through, like I always do. This book has 4 sections for the 4 seasons, the first one they have is "Fall." So these might not always be good recipes for summer but I am stubborn and don't like to skip around in a book. Plus with the summer we've been having so far....you see my point. But yesterday was a nice rainy chilly (ha ha) day so it worked out well.

Texas Chili Made Easy
12 oz ground beef (I used a whole pound because that's how I freeze them, in one pound pkgs)
1 15 oz can pinto beans, undrained
1 cup bottled salsa
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
sour cream, optional

In a large skillet cook the ground beef over medium heat until brown. Drain off fat. Stir undrained beans, salsa, beef broth, chili powder, and cumin into meat in skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls. If desired, top with sour cream (we did not. I topped ours with shredded mexican cheese that I had in the fridge already).

This was not at all spicy, although I used mild salsa. So if you like it spicy you could buy spicier salsa. Steve, Sam, and I lapped this up. Emma had to be forced to eat it. Nathan had Froot Loops. Definitely a keeper. We had this with cornbread which I made from the recipe on the corn meal box.

No comments: