Monday, May 4, 2009

Blueberry Ice Cream Tart

I made this this afternoon and we just had some of it. I liked the sound of it because it only has a few ingredients, though I did have to buy most of them. But Steve likes blueberries so I thought we would try it. It's from the newest Simple & Delicious, May/June 2009.

Blueberry Ice Cream Tart
1 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 cookies)(don't get the multi-colored ones, that would look so gross)(just a tip)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 qt vanilla ice cream, softened
1 can (21 oz) blueberry pie filling

In a small bowl , combine wafer crumbs and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press onto bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan; set aside. (If you think a regular pie plate will be big enough for this, you would be wrong. I do not have a springform pan. I started out with a regular pie plate and just the wafer crumbs took up almost half of it. I thought to myself "this will never work" so I transferred the crumbs to deep dish pie plate. Still doubtful but it's all I had to work with...the filling still spilled out a bit...froze to the freezer...) Place ice cream in large bowl (this brings up another point...it is a fine line between "softened" ice cream and "melted" ice cream and I'm not sure I know where that line is); gently fold in pie filling. Spread over crust. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Remove sides of pan (obviously this only applies if you actually have a sprinform pan. It is hard to remove the sides of a stoneware deep dish pie plate). 12 servings.

So even though this doesn't have real blueberries and is cheating bad, it was still pretty good. I bet you could pass this off as a good Maine seasonal dessert, as long as no one asked you for the recipe...then you'd have to either lie to look good or confess that you used canned blueberries...I am certainly not advocating lying, I'm just saying. You could say it was a family recipe that you couldn't give out (they don't have to know how long it's been in your family). Anyway it was good, I think we'll keep this one. And perhaps I will find a springform pan at a yard sale this summer.