Monday, May 4, 2009

Pork Chops with Blackberry Sauce

This was our main course for tonight. My parents have absconded with Emma to Boston for 2 days, so it felt weird to be cooking and eating supper without her. She wouldn't have liked this anyway, I don't think, so maybe it's just as well that I made this tonight. Although I didn't put any sauce on Nathan's so I could have done the same for her...Anyway this is from the same issue of Simple & Delicious, May/June 2009.

Pork Chops with Blackberry Sauce
4 bone-in pork chops
1/4 cup seedless blackberry spreadable fruit
3 tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp A-1 steak sauce

Broil chops 3-4 inches from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the spreadable fruit, ketchup, garlic, and mustard. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and steak sauce until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pork chops. 4 servings.

So you may notice a theme with these recipes, which is that they use a lot of prepared ingredients like canned pie filling and "spreadable fruit" (essentially jam). It's why they're so "Simple" I guess, because you do not have to grow, deseed, and process your own blackberries to make this sauce. Basically you are making a kind of barbecue sauce to go on these. It was quite tasty, really. Definitely one I will keep. Plus now I have a whole jar minus 1/4 cup of blackberry jam so I'll have to use it somehow. We had this with the vegetable recipe that was on the same page which I'll post next...

No comments: