Thursday, May 7, 2009

Toasted Ravioli

Okay so the Olive Garden has this lovely appetizer called Toasted Ravioli. Last I knew, you could only get them as part of an appetizer combo they have, with like chicken fingers and their equivalent of mozzarella sticks. I always get them, but first I always have a battle with myself to ponder if I SHOULD get them, because if you get an appetizer for your meal you have to pay extra for the salad and breadsticks, which can be tricky if you are not eating with your whole family who would provide enough breadsticks that you could squeak by eating one or two of theirs without your server noticing (not that I am advocating stealing breadsticks because I am not. Someone at your table is getting them anyway). But no matter who I'm with, I end up getting the appetizer combo because the Toasted Ravioli is SO good. I have always wanted to be able to make them, so I was very excited when I saw this recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens 5 Ingredient Favorites cookbook. I was hoping they would be similar to the OG's because then I would not have to spend so much money to get them.

Toasted Ravioli
1 9 oz pkg refrigerated cheese ravioli (I used meat ravioli, because this is what OG uses and I like them way better anyway)(plus I used frozen ravioli because it's cheaper, and you have to cook them anyway so I don't think it really matters)
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs (I ended up needing like a whole cup)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce

Cook ravioli by pkg directions. Cool slightly. Place bread crumbs in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine egg and milk. Dip cooked ravioli into egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs to coat. Place ravioli on greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, @ 425 for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Meanwhile heat spaghetti sauce in a small saucepan until bubbly. Serve warm ravioli with sauce.

I started out breading these with tongs, because I didn't want to wait for them to cool slightly since Sam had a Cub Scout meeting tonight. But doing it with tongs was very time consuming, and after 2 raviolis, I was like, they can't be THAT hot, so I commenced to using my hands. Well, they were pretty hot, but I found that if I picked one up and real quick tossed it into the egg mixture, that cooled if off enough so that it didn't burn me when I moved it to the bread crumbs and dragged it around. So there's a good tip for you if you make these. Emma and Nathan didn't like them (I know, shocking) but the rest of us did. Of course they weren't quite Olive Garden, but I'm pretty sure they fry theirs and I just baked mine. These are probably healthier. These might make a good appetizer for a party or something, maybe. Or just for supper. We had ours with garlic bread and a salad (another gasp. But it was a salad kit.). Definitely keeping the recipe.

No comments: