Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cheesy Garlic Potato Gratin

We had this for lunch yesterday. Steve had the day off since it was Memorial Day (a big shout out to my dad, a veteran). I had to work 3-11 though, so we had lunch be the big meal for yesterday since I was home. This is the last recipe from the cookbook my mom gave me for Christmas, the Better Homes & Gardens 5 Ingredient Favorites. There are 2 soup recipes in there that I want to try but I am waiting for fall because it is not good soup weather right now. Anyway I think a few times growing up we had these kind of potatoes from scratch, but my usual experience with them is from a box by Betty Crocker. Not that I'm knocking Betty. I just wanted to try making them from scratch.

Cheesy Garlic Potato Gratin
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold or other yellow potatoes, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)(I didn't peel them, because Betty doesn't either...I remember dehydrated potato skins being on the dehydrated potatoes...but I did scrub the potatoes before I sliced them)
1/3 cup sliced green onion
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 oz)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup whipping cream

In a greased 2 qt baking dish layer half of the potatoes and half of the green onion. Sprinkle with half each of the cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Repeat layers. Pour whipping cream over layers in dish. Bake, covered, @ 350 for 1 hour. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.

So, Steve and I LOVED these!! Alas, none of the kids liked them at all. So I guess this would be a grown-up side dish. I think the next time I make these will be when we have dinner guests or something, so the grown-ups can have this and I'll make like tater tots for the kids. Of course if Karen comes over she will eat the tots instead because she loves tots. But mostly the adults would like these, I think. Definitely a keeper. We had these with Barbecue Beef Sandwiches, which I will post separately.

No comments: