Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Barbecued Beef Sandwiches

Starting a new cookbook!! Hooray! This one is the cookbook my mom gave my sister for Christmas last year. It has some good recipes in it so Jess is letting me use it. It is another Better Homes and Gardens one, 365 Last Minute Meals. We had this for lunch yesterday along with the potato recipe posted previously.

Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
12 oz beef stir fry strips (these are not precooked)
2/3 cup barbecue sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray's)(that is not a paid endorsement, I just really really like that barbecue sauce)(if Sweet Baby Ray's would like to pay me to endorse them, I would not be averse to that. Ha ha)
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
4 hoagie buns, split and toasted
3 slices pepper jack cheese or monterey jack cheese, quartered (I just used plain old sandwich cheese because I don't like spicy stuff, and I daresay pepper jack would be spicy)

In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook onion about 3 minutes or until tender. Add beef strips. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until meat is slightly pink in center. Stir in barbecue sauce and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon beef mixture onto hoagie bun bottoms. Top with cheese and bun tops.

Again, Steve and I thought these were fabulous and the kids didn't. For the little ones, I didn't put them on the bread, just cut up some of the meat. For the rest of us, we had them on buns. The only thing I would suggest is cutting the beef strips in half before you cook them, because you would take a bite of the sandwich and a whole beef strip would fall out. Amusing, yes, but also messy. Also this would never have made enough for four adults to eat. I was fairly skimpy with the amount I put in each sandwich so that I would have enough to put some on the kids plates. And, there was a lot of sauce, the sandwiches were very drippy. So I think you could have at least a whole pound of beef stir-fry strips and not increase the amount of barbecue sauce and still be fine. I'm not sure if they sell them in 1 pound packages or not, but I am going to find out. This whole meal was one Steve and I thought was delicious and the kids just didn't care for. So save it for company and give the kids PB&J and tots.

No comments: