Friday, January 22, 2010

Lemon Squares

Last night we had some friends over for a meeting and I made this for dessert. I love lemon bars. This is the first time I have tried to make them from scratch. One time I bought a mix for them, and that seemed just as complicated. So I guess it's from scratch from now on. It's hard to tell with these when they are done. I panicked and bought some ice cream in case they were not good, but they were. It's from the Betty Crocker cookbook...I only have one more dessert to make until I have made everything I wanted to make from this cookbook...

Lemon Squares
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp grated lemon peel, if desired
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, butter, and powdered sugar. Press into ungreased 8x8 square pan, building up 1/2-inch edges. Bake crust 20 minutes. Beat remaining ingredients, except remaining powdered sugar, with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust. Bake 25 to 30 minutes (mine only took 20) or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center (it also got darker than I thought it should be). Cool in pan on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

So these were actually quite delightful. Tom aspirated the powdered sugar twice, but besides that, no issues. Steve predictably had ice cream with his lemon square, even though it was supposed to be a back up. A keeper.

No comments: