Monday, January 18, 2010

Savory Minestrone

So my friend Tiffany had her gall bladder out, and Helping Hands was arranging meals. And my dear friend doesn't eat meat. So this was the soup I made to bring her after her surgery. Meatless and delicious mmmmmmmmm. This is the first recipe I tried from the cookbook my mom gave me for Christmas (she always gives me a cookbook at Christmas woot woot). It is the Church Potluck Slow Cooker cookbook. Even though this was supposed to be in the crock pot, I made it on the stove top because I ran out of time...



Savory Minestrone
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
6 carrots, sliced
6 cups broth (either chicken or vegetable)
2 cups tomato juice (I was able to use 3 cans of the V8 juice I bought for the meatloaf recipe woot woot, now I only have 4 cans left!)
2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (yes I bought white pepper...I don't really know what the difference is, but okay)
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup orzo pasta (I used mini-ABC pasta because that's what I had)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I forgot that oops)

In large skillet, combine olive oil and butter over medium heat. When butter melts, add onions and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes.

Crock Pot method: Pour into 6-7 quart slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, tomato juice, beans, potatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. In large bowl, combine diced tomatoes and tomato paste until paste dissolves. Stir into slow cooker along with orzo. Cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes or until soup is hot and orzo is tender. Top each serving with the cheese.

Stove Top method: Pour into stock pot (my dutch oven was barely big enough, so if you have a stock pot you should use it). Add carrots, broth, tomato juice, beans, potatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat; simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender (maybe like 30 minutes). In large bowl, combine diced tomatoes and tomato paste until paste dissolves. Stir into soup along with orzo. Continue simmering until pasta is tender. Top each serving with cheese.

So you guys know that I am not a fan of many things healthy or meatless. But this soup was GOOD. Whenever I make a meal for Helping Hands I try to make one meal that will feed us and them, just because it's easier. Well this meal made so much that I gave a big container to Tiffany and then we had a meal from it, and I have had two more meals from it since (it tasted so good as leftovers too). We had it with fresh bread (from the bread machine). A very yummy meal, that we will definitely have again.

No comments: