Friday, January 29, 2010

Pork Chops Supreme

This is from a cookbook I got at a yard sale last summer, called The Proof's in the Pudding. It's a Job Corps cookbook. But, these Job Corps people teach people how to cook yummy food, so I figured the cookbook was a safe bet. This is the first recipe I've tried out of it, with mixed results.

Pork Chops Supreme
4-6 pork chops
2/3 cup regular rice (I used brown rice)
4 tbsp chopped onion
2 cups water
1/2 can cream of celery soup
1 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1 cup chopped apples
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sliced apples

Brown chops in oil (it doesn't say how much, so I just used a tablespoon). Set aside; reserve drippings. In the same skillet, cook rice and onion in reserved drippings until rice is golden, stirring constantly. Stir in water, bouillon granules, and soup. Bring to boiling; stir in chopped apples. Turn mixture into a 9x13 baking dish; arrange chops on top. Bake, covered, @ 350 for 30 minutes. Combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Arrange sliced apples around chops and brush with mixture. Bake uncovered another 20 minutes or until apples and pork chops are tender.

So everyone liked the pork chops and sliced apples; the rice got mixed reviews. It did seem like a weird combination of flavors, what with the cream of celery soup and all. And, typical of how my rice comes out, it was too crunchy. I'm sure the leftovers will be better because it will have more time to soak up the liquid. So I'm not keeping this one. Hopefully the next one will be better.

No comments: