Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy

It has been so long since I've been on here, I feel like there is so much to say!! I am SO thankful for the 2 weeks of meals my church family provided for us in my immediate post-op period. I am still getting some meals here and there from work friends and such and it has been a huge help. Yesterday I actually managed to make something! I am still using crutches, so this took me probably 3 times longer to make than it would take any of you, but that's okay. Other things I have made this week in the kitchen: a DiGiorno frozen pizza, scrambled eggs, and a mac and cheese type dish. Not exactly gourmet, but I feel like things are slowly approaching normal (very slowly). I made this recipe for the home fellowship we go to at our friends' house in Levant. I love the home fellowship for many reasons, but the cooking reason I love it is because I can make desserts that Steve and I will not be consuming entirely ourselves. Becky tries to be healthy; last night she had mini muffins and cheese and crackers. And here comes me, with this. She said I didn't have to make anything, which I knew. But I really like making stuff and being in the kitchen, so it wasn't a "have to" thing, it was a "want to" thing. The kids there all loved this. It did come out really good. This recipe came out of a Taste of Home magazine, April/May '10. I usually do not get TOH, but my sister saved a bunch of magazines for me to read while I was laid up, including about 8 cooking mags, so I have a bunch of new things to try. I think this one was misnamed, really. It doesn't have that much chocolate or peanut butter in it, also it does not have the consistency of candy. But it was really good.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, cubed (that's 1 1/2 sticks)
1/3 cup milk
2 sleeves Town House crackers (I ended up using like 2 1/2 sleeves or so...but I ate some while I was making it so maybe 2 would be enough)
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

In a saucepan, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugars, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (this is a thick gloopy mess and hard to stir, and it stays really thick even once it boils); cook and stir 5 minutes longer. Place a single layer of crackers in a greased 13x9 baking dish; top with half of crumb mixture (this will pour like hot caramel and it's hard to spread once it's on the crackers). Repeat layers. Top with remaining crackers. In a small saucepan, combine the butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. Cook and stir until smooth. Pour over crackers and let stand until set.

So you cut these like brownies, but way smaller, like 1 or 1 1/2 inches or so. They came out really really good. This would be an expensive recipe if you didn't already have the ingredients, but I happened to have everything except enough graham cracker crumbs. So, a keeper.

No comments: