Thursday, May 20, 2010

Potato and Pepper Frittata

Sounds fancy, huh? It's basically scrambled eggs and stuff. This came from the Kraft Food and Family magazine, spring 2010. It was in the stack of magazines my sister gave me to look through, since once Kraft started charging for this previously free publication, I decided not to buy. I have made things similar to this before but I thought this looked good and would be a hit with our family. We love breakfast-for-supper type things.

Potato and Pepper Frittata
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup shredded potatoes
1/4 cup chopped onions
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup cheese (they tell you to use Mexican shredded, but you could just use whatever you have)
6 green pepper rings

Heat oven to 350. Cook bacon in medium ovenproof nonstick skillet 4 minutes; drain, reserving bacon in skillet. Add potatoes and onions; cook 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in eggs; top with cheese and peppers. Cover. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until center is set.

If you don't have an ovenproof skillet (I don't), you can do what I did. Follow the recipe as it says until the point where it says to stir in the eggs. I got a 2 quart casserole dish, sprayed it with cooking spray, then put the beaten eggs in that, then dumped the skillet mixture into the casserole dish. I stirred everything all up, then topped it with the cheese and peppers, covered it, and baked it. Mine took like 35 minutes for the eggs to be done to my liking (I do not like runny eggs AT ALL).

So this was good, even Emma ate it, and she doesn't think she likes bacon. Also I did not tell her it contained bacon. My little secret. Definitely a keeper. We had it with "fresh fruit" which sounds really nice too, but basically the kids could choose grapes or bananas. Also they could choose strawberries but nobody likes those here except me. So a very good meal overall.

No comments: