Friday, May 21, 2010

Lemon Delight Trifle

I made this today for home fellowship. I love lemon flavored things and I have a Pampered Chef trifle dish that I barely ever get to use, so when I saw this recipe I definitely wanted to make it. It's from the Taste of Home magazine April/May 2010. My sister gave this one to me, too. She gets TOH in the mail and I get Simple & Delicious. My mom pays for both of them for Christmas every year. I like mine better because there are usually fewer ingredients and less steps, but the TOH are still good to look through. And I have found a few things there too, so it's all good.

Lemon Delight Trifle
3 1/2 cups cold milk
2 pkg (3.4 oz each) instant lemon pudding mix
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed, divided
1 pkg (12 to 14 oz) lemon cream-filled sandwich cookies, crushed (we couldn't find these at 3 different grocery stores, so we used Golden Oreos)

In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in pudding until blended. Set aside 1/4 cup each of cool whip and crushed cookies for garnish. Fold remaining cool whip into pudding mixture. Place half the remaining cookies in a 3 qt trifle dish; top with half the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved cool whip and crushed cookies. Refrigerate until serving.

So all of the adults liked this, most of the kids did. None of my own children liked this, not even Emma who had helped me make the whole thing. It was very good. Tom had the helpful suggestion to add sausage next time, because everything tastes better with meat. I told him I would take it under advisement, but obviously I'm totally never putting meat in a trifle dish, a la Jennifer Aniston (anyone else remember that episode??). Another keeper. I am on a roll lately.

1 comment:

Sue said...

hahaha! I remember that episode Monika. If I remember right, Joey LOVED it!

Neat little blog. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Sue