Friday, February 18, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

I made this for home fellowship. It's from Simple & Delicious Dec/Jan 2011. It has a picture with it that looks so yummy. Of course the best place to take this is to someone else's house, so that I am not overly tempted to eat it all! This starts with a base of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, so I had to be very tricky when I bought these and put them in the fridge, because my kids go crazy over these cinnamon rolls. But it all worked out.

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
1 tube (17.5 oz) Pillsbury Grand cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing
2 pkg (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp butter, melted

Unroll the tube of cinnamon rolls into one long rectangle into a greased 13x9 baking dish (I had visions of this going very smoothly. In fact, it did not. I had to break some, spread them all out, smoosh them down...eventually I was able to get the whole bottom of the pan covered); seal perforations. Set aside icing packet from cinnamon rolls.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over crust. In a small bowl, combine the pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon; stir in butter. Sprinkle over cream cheese layer.

Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Drizzle with contents of icing packet (in retrospect, I should have put this into a baggie or something and squeezed it out...I have big hunks of icing on few spots of the coffee cake, but it is by no means uniformly distributed...); let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Okay so I don't love cream cheese. I do put it in things, but I don't think it's sweet enough. So, same thing with this dessert-type thing. My kids didn't like it, and when I was cleaning up Becky's table I noticed a lot of it had been left behind. But that's okay, kids are hard to please anyway. Becky said she liked it, and Steve liked it too. Even though a couple of grown ups liked it, I still don't think I'll save this one, because it wasn't a crowd-pleaser. But it did smell awesome while it was baking.

No comments: