Thursday, February 17, 2011

Family Favorite Italian Chicken

This was very good. It is similar to another recipe I tried back when NRN was first beginning, which I affectionately named Burn Your House Down Parmesan Chicken. That one you covered, so you couldn't tell how blackened it was becoming until it was too late. This one was similar, in that I burned it. But at least the coating was easy to scrape off. We still ate it. It was still good. I think I had the heat too high...this is from Simple & Delicious Dec/Jan 2011.

Family Favorite Italian Chicken
2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
Hot cooked pasta (we used bow ties...farfalle if you want to be all fancy)

In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil, and garlic powder; heat through.

Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/4" thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, oregano, and salt. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In a third shallow bowl, place flour. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.

In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil in batches for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear (here's where I went wrong...I didn't check it soon enough...). Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with cheeses. Serve with pasta.

So in spite of the extra carbon, everyone liked this. The breading was easily removed for the children, but I left mine on. I've never been too bothered by burn. Whereas Steve does not like it AT ALL. He doesn't even like his toast too brown. But actually he just ate this like it was, even though I told him how easily I had removed the breading from the children's chicken. So. It was yummy. I have to go back and see how different this one is from the previously mentioned recipe. If it's much different, I'll save it. If not, I won't. And next time I make it, I'll watch way more carefully. You'd think I would learn by now...

No comments: