Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tangy Tomato Pork Chops

Got my newest Simple & Delicious last week. This one didn't have as many that I wanted to try as usual. Also, weirdly, it is the December/January issue, and I got it at the beginning of February. There are a lot of Christmas-y desserts and stuff. Maybe my next one will come quicker since this one came late. Anyway this is a crock-pot recipe, which I like. I do not like the adjective "tangy." If I keep this recipe, I will not put "tangy" in the title. What's wrong with just saying Tomato Pork Chops? The word makes me think that it might be sour, or maybe like the astronaut drink Tang. But reading the ingredients, it didn't sound like anything weird. So I decided to try it.

Tangy Tomato Pork Chops
6 bone-in pork chops
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 large sweet red pepper, sliced (no red peppers last night at Walmart, no time to go to Hannaford and get one...so I used green pepper)
1 jar (14.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained (I left these out)
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Hot cooked noodles

In a large skillet, brown chops in oil. Transfer to 5-qt slow cooker. Layer onion, pepper, and mushrooms over pork chops. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; pour over pork and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until pork is tender. Serve with noodles.

As is typical with crock pot recipes, this one smelled great. By the time we were ready to eat, the meat was falling off the bones, which is normally a plus, but made it hard to get the meat out of the crockpot. At one point I was taking it out a bite at a time, which got annoying. Also this meal was not very pretty on the plate. We had it with bowtie pasta. The kids loved this meal! Yay. They just ate the meat and noodles, not any of the vegetables, but the meat was so tender that they just gobbled it up. This one is definitely a keeper!

No comments: