Monday, January 31, 2011

Sausages in Cider Sauce

This is the last recipe I have marked to try from my birthday cookbooks from Becky. I looked at this several times, and went back and forth if I should try it or not. But ultimately I decided to because it has rice, which we have to get used to, and it just sounded like it was going be tasty. I had to make a couple of adjustments which I will tell you as we go...

Sausages in Cider Sauce
1 lb boneless pork chops
8 pork link sausages
2 tbsp lard (gross...I used oil)
1 large onion
1 carrot
1 stalk of celery
4 large tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup dry hard cider (no more cider at the store...hard or otherwise...I used apple juice)
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter (or more oil, if you are dairy-free)
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 quart chicken broth (this is 4 cups...I used homemade vegetable broth)
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Cut the pork chops into bite-sized pieces. Twist each sausage in half to make 16 small sausages. Melt the lard (or pour the oil) into a skillet and fry the pork and sausages gently, turning frequently, for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion and carrot. Trim and chop the celery. Quarter the tomatoes. Peel and crush the garlic. Add the vegetables to the skillet with the cider (juice) and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the rice and fry, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (this took longer than that--like 30 minutes...maybe in the early 80s rice was thinner or something) til rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the cheese (as I reread this I realize I forgot to add the cheese. I was just so excited once the rice was done). Taste and adjust the seasoning and fluff with a fork. Pile into a warmed serving dish and arranges sausages and pork on top. Spoon cider sauce over and serve immediately with a mixed salad (we skipped the salad ha ha).

Due to the plague descending on our house, Nathan and Emma didn't eat this. Nathan had ice cream, which he also had for lunch, and Emma had apple juice. Sam did eat a little bit then said he was full. Steve really liked it, but then he is a fan of sausage-type things. I thought it was good too. And since not much was eaten, there is a lot left over too, which is always a good thing. So, another keeper. I did find quite a few recipes out of these old cookbooks. Almost everything I tried, we liked. Good job, Miss Becky ;)

No comments: