Monday, January 17, 2011

Parmesan Crusted Turkey Breast

Another Rachael Ray recipe. You will be shocked when you read the ingredient list, that I actually made this the way it says to. Even the broccoli. I knew before I started that the kids would HATE this, but that Steve would like it. I don't like broccoli either, so I thought if I told them that we are all going to try something new, they would try it...ha ha.

Parmesan Crusted Turkey Breast
4 baking potatoes (about 2 lbs) peeled and quartered
1/2 head broccoli, stems discarded and florets coarsely chopped
1 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
1 pound boneless skinless turkey breast, cut into 4 pieces and pounded thin (at Walmart they had turkey breast chops, so that's what I bought)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 tbsp olive oil

In a medium pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil and cook halfway to tender, about 7 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Add the butter and smash; season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, season the turkey with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and parmesan. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg. Dip each cutlet into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, pressing to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add 2 cutlets and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Repeat with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 cutlets. Serve the cutlets with the broccoli smashed potatoes.

Okay. The first thing I did is tell the kids that these were St Patrick's Day mashed potatoes. Do you want to know what? EVERYBODY LIKED THESE. NATHAN HAD SECONDS. I am not kidding. Sam ate them all. I wouldn't tell what was in them until they were all done. Then I only told Sam, in his ear. I thought if I told while they were still eating them, they would suddenly say they didn't like them. Once I told Sam, he felt betrayed. He told Steve he was mad at me for tricking him. I pointed out that I didn't trick him. I told him "don't worry, this doesn't mean you like broccoli now. It just means you liked it in this one recipe. You don't have to go taking it off the salad bar or anything." I thought these were good too. How weird. Also, the turkey was very very good too. I like how panko bread crumbs stay crunchy no matter what. I guess that's the point of them. Anyway, an unexpected hit!

No comments: