Sunday, January 16, 2011

Apple, Cheddar, and Bacon Monte Cristos

Remember the Count of Monte Cristo? Maybe he invented this sandwich, I don't know. I don't know anything about him, except that there is a sandwich with the same name. The sandwich is kind of like a french toast sandwich. I've seen them on the menu at Governor's before but never tried them. This is another recipe out of the latest Every Day with Rachael Ray mag...we love breakfast for supper. Also I love bacon. So.

Apple, Cheddar, and Bacon Monte Cristos
12 slices good-quality bacon
8 slices good-quality peasant or round-loaf french bread
1/4 to 1/2 lb extra sharp white cheddar cheese (I bought Sargento pre-sliced white cheddar)
2 golden delicious or gala apples, cored and thinly sliced
3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
Nutmeg
Warm maple syrup

Bake the bacon on a broiler pan or a rack set over a baking sheet at 375 until just crisp, about 20 minutes (is baked bacon healthier than fried bacon? Ummm, maybe. Regardless, it is certainly less effort and less mess than frying it). Arrange 4 slices of bread with some cheese and apples on top. Beat the eggs with the milk or half-and-half and a little nutmeg (I guess you just pick how much). Heat a large griddle pan over medium heat. When ready, arrange 3 slices of bacon on each sandwich and top with a little more cheese and 4 more slices of bread. Coat each sandwich in the egg batter. Grease griddle with butter and griddle the sandwiches (can griddle really be a verb? I would prefer "grill" in this case, but maybe that is improper, I don't really know) until deep golden on each side and the cheese has melted. Halve the sandwiches and drizzle with a little warm syrup.

These were SO GOOD!! Really really good. I didn't even try one with Nathan, because he doesn't like bacon. Sam and Emma weren't crazy about them, but did eat them. Steve and I loved them. Definitely a keeper. The first recipe I've ever tried and kept out of EDWRR.

No comments: