Friday, April 15, 2011

Classic Cocktail Meatballs

Not that we drink a lot of cocktails. Also there's no healthy way to make meatballs. They are just fatty and delicious and not good for you. So why put on airs? If you're going to make meatballs, then you might as well drench them in a sauce that combines grape jelly and chili sauce, instead of like fat-free or reduced sugar or whatnot. I wanted to make these when I saw the recipe in the Kraft Food & Family insert, but knew I couldn't make them for a family meal because it would make way too many. So I made these for home fellowship. Even though the Porters are vegetarians (I did thoughtfully text Brooke and tell her that I would make sure she was first in line for meatballs, even if I had to fight off every child there...) I thought they would still be a hit, because Tom likes meat at every event. Once at home fellowship we had a bunch of desserts (our usual fare) and then Tom fried up like 2 pounds of bacon. Surprising how tasty all that was together. Anyway now that none of you on a diet will ever want to come to our home fellowship, here is the recipe...

Classic Cocktail Meatballs
2 lb lean ground beef (I used grass fed...I only have 2 more of our original 25 pounds of this left...I told Steve to tell his friend to kill another cow...he thought he might suggest to his friend to do it the way Leon on Napoleon Dynamite did...)
1 pkg (6 oz) chicken flavored stuffing mix (weird, right??)
1 cup water
2 eggs
12 oz jar grape jelly
12 oz bottle chili sauce

Heat oven to 400. Line 2 jelly roll pans with foil; spray with cooking spray. Mix meat, stuffing mix, water, and eggs until blended. Shape into 50 1 1/2 inch meatballs (I got 58 using my PC medium scoop); place on prepared pans. Bake 16 minutes or until done (160 degrees). Meanwhile, bring jelly & chili sauce to a boil in large saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add meatballs to sauce; stir to evenly coat.

I tweaked this a bit in that I made the meatballs the day before, knowing that I had to work Thursday night and that when I woke up I would be in no mood to make meatballs, and then cave and get chips on the way to HF. So then I put all the meatballs in my crockpot and poured the sauce over them this afternoon, then left it on low for maybe like 5 hours total by the time they were consumed.

These were a big hit. None left. I actually didn't even eat one, because my stomach does weird things when I only sleep 3 hours out of the last 42 (when I figured out those numbers I was shocked, but it's what happened for Thursday/Friday...) So I think this one is another keeper...if you were there and you ate one, feel free to give feedback (good or bad, I can take it!)

No comments: