Friday, April 1, 2011

Lemon Crumb Bars

Remember how I love lemon? Well this is the dessert I had planned to make for home fellowship tonight, but now we are not going to home fellowship due to this freak storm. But I decided to make the dessert anyway, because Steve said he wanted me to and also I wanted to. I don't think the kids are going to like this, so I will end up having to give some away so I don't eat it all.

Lemon Crumb Bars
1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) lemon cake mix
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
2 cups crushed saltine crackers (about 60 crackers)(almost 2 sleeves)
3 egg yolks
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, butter, and egg until crumbly. Stir in cracker crumbs; set aside 2 cups for topping.

Press remaining crumb mixture into 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk, and lemon juice. Pour over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

So I thought this would be way to dry and crumbly, and I also thought cold butter would not incorporate well into dry cake mix and only one egg, but I was wrong. Using my Kitchen Aid mixer, it all came together nicely.

These tasted SO good. I just had an approximately 1 1/2 inch square of one (don't want to spoil my supper, of course) and they were great. Not to sweet, not too tart. I don't know if the kids will like them, I bet Sam will. But, as Emma has told me in the past, most of the time she doesn't like my home fellowship desserts. If these are too tempting I will be bringing them to Co-op on Tuesday...don't worry they will still be yummy because they are ones you keep in the fridge. The downside of this recipe is that I had to buy almost all the ingredients. The lemon juice and saltines I already had (although now I have to buy more to replace all the ones I crushed) but everything else I had to buy. Not ideal, but such a yummy recipe it's okay for once in a while.

1 comment:

phyllis said...

we love lemon desserts. I will try this one. Can you send me a message and tell me about Co-op. thanks!