Thursday, April 14, 2011

Simply Lasagna

So this might seem like something too basic. I have made several lasagnas in my lifetime. In fact, last month, my sister and I made a totally rocking one without any recipe at all. But believe it or not, I did not have a recipe for lasagna in my "keeper book." (That's the binder that all the recipes I call "keepers" goes in to...and then when I am doing my meal planning or having company over or whatever, I know whatever is in that book is a good thing to make.) This recipe was from that Kraft Food & Family insert that I referenced in my last posting. One thing I did like about it was that you don't have to boil the noodles ahead of time, so it came together pretty quickly.

Simply Lasagna
1 lb ground beef
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
15 oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used 2 tbsp dried)
1 egg, beaten
1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
12 lasagna noodles, uncooked

Heat oven to 350. Brown meat in large skillet on med-high heat. Meanwhile, mix 1 1/4 cups mozzarella, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, parsley, and egg until well blended; set aside.

Drain meat. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Add the 1 cup of water to the empty sauce jar; cover with lid and shake well. Add to meat mixture; stir until well blended. Spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9 baking dish; top with layers of 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining 3 noodles, meat sauce, and cheeses. Cover with greased foil.

Bake 1 hour or until heated through, removing foil after 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting to serve.

Of course this was yummy, and of course I'll keep it. This was taller than the baking dish when I started, and once it was done baking, had flattened out quite a bit. But the noodles were soft and yummy. We had it with Emma's yummy garlic bread.

2 comments:

Angie Ford said...

I've never heard of using an egg in lasagna! My gram used to mix a package of cream cheese into her beef mixture and didn't use ricotta. It's the best. mmm. :)

NewRecipeNight said...

Wow, I have always used an egg in the cheese mixture...that's interesting what your grandmother did...I wonder if it's a regional thing...