Thursday, March 31, 2011

Coq au Vin

I'm not sure what that means. Something with wine, I think. It's from the cookbook I got for Christmas from my mom, Cooking through the Seasons, or something like that. It's from "spring," but I highly suspect you could make this any time of the year that you want.

Coq au Vin
6 medium red potatoes, quartered
1/2 cup water
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I HATE cream of mushroom, so I used cream of chicken)
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth (I used homemade chicken broth)
1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms (omitted by me)
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/3 cup chopped green onions (didn't get those...always so much leftover)

Place potatoes and water in microwave-safe dish; cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Add carrots; cook 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain.

In a large bowl, combine the soup, wine or broth, bouillon, garlic, parsley, thyme, pepper. Cut each chicken breast half into 3 pieces. Add the chicken, potato mixture, mushrooms, bacon, and onions to soup mixture; stir to coat.

Transfer to a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

This was so good. Everyone liked it. The sauce ended up kind of like gravy, and I sneakily drizzled it onto the little ones' cut chicken and potatoes. Nathan & Emma did not like the carrots, but the rest was a hit. Definitely a keeper.

No comments: