Saturday, March 12, 2011

Steaks with Molasses-Glazed Onions and Herbed Potato Fans

This is, hands-down, the best thing I have ever made. The steaks, at least. I knew Steve would like this, so that's why I wanted to make it. It's from Simple & Delicious, Feb/March 2011. Even though the steaks take a bit of time, you are using the same skillet for 3 different steps, so it's easy. I made the potatoes with it because it seemed like it would be a good pairing. In fact in the magazine they are pictured together on the same plate. Hee hee. So no creativity on my part.

Steaks with Molasses-Glazed Onions
2 bacon strips, diced
2 beef top sirloin steaks (6 oz each)(cheaper than I thought...about $6 for 1.5 lbs, which fed all 5 of us and left a small portion for Steve to eat for leftovers at work the next day)
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp molasses

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 1/2 tsp drippings in the skillet and 1 1/2 tsp drippings in a small bowl. Set bowl aside. (You can just eyeball that, or dump all the drippings into a bowl and measure out 1 1/2 tsp each time you need it...that's what I did)

Sprinkle steaks with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook steaks over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reaches desired doneness (for med-rare [which is still mooing, which is gross] 145; medium 160; well-done 170). Remove and keep warm (I kept them on a glass plate in a 200 degree oven).

Add onion and reserved drippings to the skillet; saute until tender. Add the vinegar, molasses, and remaining salt and pepper; heat through. Serve onion mixture over steaks; sprinkle with bacon.

Herbed Potato Fans
2 medium baking potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp white wine or chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp each dried parsley, thyme, and rosemary, crushed
1/8 tsp pepper
Green onions and sour cream, optional (I didn't use these...I don't like sour cream, and whenever I buy green onions, I use like 2 of them and end up throwing the rest away...so I left them out)

With a sharp knife, cut each potato into 1/2 inch slices, leaving sliced attached at the bottom. Place on a microwave safe plate. Combine the oil, wine, and seasonings; drizzle over potatoes. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-12 minutes or until tender, turning once. Garnish with onions and sour cream, if desired.

Okay. These steaks were FABULOUS. It wasn't even an expensive cut of meat. And the onions. Yum. I can't even tell you in words how good this was. I told Steve I think this is the best thing I have ever made. He did not disagree.

As for the potatoes, they were okay, but not great. Perhaps because I am used to butter on my potatoes and olive oil didn't cut it. Perhaps because I was so distracted by the awesome steak. Not sure. So I'm not keeping the potato recipe.

No comments: