Thursday, March 24, 2011

Southern Pulled Pork

I said I was done with this magazine, but I wasn't. This really is the last recipe in the Feb/March 2011 Simple & Delicious. We love pulled pork. Sam thought they were sloppy joes and was very excited, but even when he found out what it really was he liked it. The serving suggestion here is to serve this on top of baked sweet potatoes, but, no. We had them in buns. This recipe also fed many. I made a meal for a friend's family, and also for my friend Amanda...I picked her up from work, gave her this food, and we drove to Bible study together. Everyone that ate this liked it (at least, they said they did).

Southern Pulled Pork
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (how can a roast be both a shoulder and a butt? I do not know)
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Baked sweet potatoes, optional

Cut roast in half; place in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine mustard, molasses, brown sugar, and soy sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Shred meat with 2 forks; return to the slow cooker. Stir in sauce. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sweet potatoes if desired (or toasted buns).

This was definitely an easy recipe. I love when you can just throw everything in the crock pot and you don't have to do anything to it first. I threw it all in (almost literally) before co-op on Tuesday morning, and supper was so easy. Which is good, because I am always wiped out on co-op days. Definitely a keeper!

No comments: