Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ethiopian Vegetables with Garlic & Ginger

This is from Homeward Bound, a fundraising cookbook that my friend Tiffany was (maybe still is?) selling as a fundraiser for her adoption of a little boy from Ethiopia. She asked for contributions from a bunch of people, and then put them all together in this book. I really like the cookbook because it has a good mix of a lot of different kinds of recipes. This one is (as you may have inferred from the title) from Ethiopia. But it sounded tame enough for me to try with the fam. Also it has an Ethiopian name, Yataklete Kilkil. But I'm just going to call it Ethiopian vegetables.

Ethiopian Vegetables with Garlic & Ginger
6 small red potatoes, scrubbed (I used 8, and some of them I had to cut because they were not "small." I really like potatoes and 6 didn't look like enough)
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into pieces (I used baby carrots, already the right size and way less work)
1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 2" lengths (I did look for these but they didn't have them at the Walmart, so I used frozen. It was fine)
1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
2 onions, coarsely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and minced (I left these out, due to my wimpiness)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp finely chopped ginger root
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (I happened to already have this, but I think you could just use regular pepper and nothing bad would happen)
6 green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop in potatoes. After 5-6 minutes, add carrots and green beans; cook 5 more minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a stewpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions, green pepper, and jalapenos. Saute 5 minutes, do not brown. Then stir in garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Stir 1 minute. Add reserved vegetables and toss gently until coated. Sprinkle on the green onions. Cover the pot and cook on low for 10 minutes. Vegetables should be tender crisp.

My first Ethiopian recipe was a success! This smelled great and tasted great. I wasn't sure this would be a meal in itself, so I warmed up some left over pork roast that I had in the fridge. But I think this would totally be fine with some kind of yummy bread & butter. The veggies are very hearty, and if you make extra potatoes like I did, it would definitely be enough of a meal. This is definitely something I will make again!

No comments: