Monday, October 10, 2011

Garlic and Onion Focaccia

Basically this is pizza without a red sauce. This recipe is near the beginning of the Taste of Home seasons cookbook I've been working through, and I've had it marked for a while, but I kept going by it, thinking it wouldn't be good for a meal, and I would have to save it for some event where we needed an appetizer. But then I just thought, what the hay, I'm going to make it. So I did. We had one of those bagged Caesar salads to go with it, and it was actually a great meal.

Garlic and Onion Focaccia
1 cup water (70-80 degrees)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp butter
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

In a bread machine pan, place the first 6 ingredients in the order suggested by your manufacturer (not your ACTUAL manufacturer, which would be God or your parents. They mean your bread machine's manufacturer). Select dough setting. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto floured surface. Roll into 12-inch circle. Transfer to 14-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

While dough is rising, in large skillet cook the onions and garlic in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes (definitely use 2 onions...I only used 1 because it looked like so much in the pan, but they reduced a LOT and then it didn't seem like enough topping on the final product), or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.

With the end of a wooden spoon handle, make indentations in dough at 1-inch intervals. Top with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve warm.

Steve, Sam, and I all LOVED this. Nathan and Emma both cried (real actual tears) when I said I was making onion pizza for supper. So I didn't even try it on them. They had "Blue Box Blues" and had Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (remember that commercial?). This was so good and definitely one I will make again.

No comments: