Wednesday, September 28, 2011

French Style Chicken

More cooking with apples!! Because it's fall and I love it! I don't know what's french about this recipe. Nothing jumps out at me. When my mom was here for her and Nathan's party a couple of weeks ago, she was thumbing through this cookbook (the Taste of Home seasons one) because she likes to read cookbooks, like me, and say out loud the things that sound really gross or the things that sound really good. Of this recipe she said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I'm surprised you don't have this one marked, it seems like something you would make." So I took a second look at this one, and then at the whole cookbook, because I thought, "what else have I missed in there?" So I decided to make this one, and a few other recent ones, like the Black Bean Tortilla Pie from last week and the Autumn Sausage Casserole from yesterday. There are a couple more I found on my "second pass" as well. Those Taste of Home people (mostly) know what they're talking about, I guess.

French Style Chicken
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 1/3 cups chicken broth
3 medium unpeeled apples, cut into wedges (I took the cores out)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 tbsp apple cider or juice, divided
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cornstarch
Minced fresh parsley (omitted. Read yesterday's entry if you want to know why)

Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170. Remove and keep warm.

In same skillet, combine broth, apples, onion, 3 tbsp cider, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and remaining cider until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.

We had this with mashed potatoes. It smelled great. The sauce was really good over the chicken, and Emma actually ate cooked apples! In the past she has cried when they have been on her plate. I guess they are right when they say to offer a food multiple times. Overall very very good!

No comments: