Monday, September 12, 2011

Skier's Stew

We had this for supper tonight. It doesn't have any actual skiers in it. I think they mean it would be yummy to eat if you are a skier. Well, I am certainly not a skier. I am actually the opposite of whatever a skier would be. A stander? Anyway, maybe it's a bit too early for soups and stews, but I don't care. We had this with homemade dinner rolls. I made the dough in my bread machine and then made them into rolls from there. A very yummy meal and well received by all. Even the family we borrow on Monday nights all liked this. It's from the Taste of Home Seasons cookbook I'm going through.

Skier's Stew
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp canola oil
8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 to 1 1/2 cups water (I just used 1 and it was very stewie...if you like it soupier you can use the 1 1/2)
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 envelope onion soup mix

In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain (I hate that step...but I still did it. But I didn't drain it. I think that stuff you would drain makes the soup taste better at the end). Transfer to a 5-qt slow cooker. Top with vegetables. Combine the water, tomato sauce, and onion soup mix; pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours (that doesn't sound like long enough to me...I did mine for 4 hours on low, then turned it up to high for the last 2 hours because the vegetables didn't seem done enough) or until meat and vegetables are tender. 8 servings

Usually the kids don't like beef meats that aren't hamburger, because they take too long to chew. They end up keeping the bite in their mouth for like 10 minutes, like some kind of Beef Gum. So gross, I don't know how they do that. But once I had scooped everyone's portion into their bowls, I cut the meat up a bit smaller, and it was so tender, I knew the kids would be fine with it, and they all were. Of course this made the kitchen smell good all day. And everyone ate it. Nobody had to be threatened or anything. So definitely a good one to keep!

No comments: