Friday, September 2, 2011

Salsa Black Bean Burgers

We had these a few nights ago. I guess it was Tuesday night. We really like black beans so I thought they would be worth a shot. It's from the Simple & Delicious mag that I am blazing through.

Salsa Black Bean Burgers
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 small tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (instead of using the tomato and jalapeno, I subbed 1/4 cup salsa...I figured the spice would be better, and also less work)
1 egg
1 tsp minced fresh cilantro (which I forgot to buy)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
Sour cream and guacamole, optional

Place beans in food processor (Tupperware Quick Chef Pro woot!); cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, tomato, jalapeno, egg, cilantro, and garlic. Mix until combined. Shape into 4 patties.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Cook patties in batches (I could fit all mine in) over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns. Top with sour cream and guacamole if desired (we didn't).

So these weren't bad, they just weren't that great. The two little ones hated them. The rest of us liked them okay, I guess. They were just kind of bland. Sometimes there would be a flavorful bite but most of the time I just tasted beans. So I'm not saving this one, but I am glad we tried it.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I made these last night and they were so yummy. Maybe getting lazy with the tomatoes and peppers effected your enjoyment of the final product (and leaving out the cilantro). :D I did take your opinion into consideration though and added a tsp. of cumin and some salt (because I use dried beans and they are not salty) so they wouldn't be too bland. We also topped them with cheddar cheese and added sour cream, salsa, guacamole and lettuce and tomatoes to the burgers (because more fat and veggies is always better). I think the flavor was really good. Maybe they deserve another shot. ;) Thank you for posting them!!