Monday, August 29, 2011

Mexican Chicken Alfredo

This is the next recipe I have marked to make as I blaze through this month's Simple & Delicious. Steve really likes alfredo. I don't love it. But I do love Mexican food. So we tried this. It makes 2 casseroles, we ate one and we are passing the other one along to a family from church that just had a new baby.

Mexican Chicken Alfredo
1 pkg (16 oz) spiral pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp canola oil
2 jars (15 oz each) Alfredo sauce (I bought Classico's reduced fat version...I hear that you can make your own alfredo from scratch but I've never done it)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup medium salsa (we used mild)
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp taco seasoning

Cook pasta according to pkg directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, salt and pepper in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in Alfredo sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in cheese, salsa, milk, and taco seasoning.

Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Divide between 2 greased 8-inch square baking dishes.

Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months (or give it to a family with a new baby, if you know one). Cover and bake remaining casserole at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.

To use frozen casserole: Thaw in fridge overnight. Remove 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly.

Really really good. Even the kids liked it. I'm not crazy about alfredo but I liked it too. Steve said he wished there was more of it and he scarfed it down because he ate it so fast because he liked it so much. But no seconds for you, Stevie. We have to share with a family with a new baby. Soooo selfish. =o)

No comments: