Monday, August 29, 2011

Candy Corn Rice Krispy Treats

Yep. This flies in the face of everything I have been trying to do, dietary-wise, in my family these last couple of years. But something about fall, and fall desserts, and stuff. Sometimes I do things that just aren't rational. So I made these today. They have two big things I've been trying to eliminate (with varying degrees of success...baby steps, right?): refined sugar and artificial color, and they have nothing that I've been trying to add in: nutritional value. But they look so yummy and fallish in the picture. And it's just for once in a while, so I guess it's okay. We are going to have a house full of people tonight, so hopefully we can spread them around and eat them all tonight and a bunch of people will get a little bit instead of our family eating them all. This is from the Fall 2011 Kraft Food & Family which my sister just passed along to me.



Candy Corn Rice Krispy Treats
1/4 cup butter
6 cups mini marshmallows (or 1 bag of the regular-size marshmallows)
12 drops yellow food coloring
4 drops red food coloring (this is to make them orange...I happened to have both of these already)
6 cups rice krispies
2 cups candy corn

Microwave butter in large microwaveable bowl on high 45 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows; toss to coat. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring in food colorings after 45 seconds. (If you don't want to microwave them, do it the old-fashioned way, like me: melt butter in large saucepan over medium low heat. Add marshmallows and stir frequently until melted. Add the food colorings. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe.)

Add cereal and candy corn; mix well. Press onto bottom of 13x9 pan sprayed with cooking spray.

Cool completely before cutting into bars. Cut each bar diagonally in half (to make triangles. I'm planning to not do that part. Just squares for us square Pages ha ha).

So, don't judge me. Just make these if you want. Of course the kids are going to love them.


No comments: