Friday, August 5, 2011

Butter Pecan Biscotti

In case you don't know what biscotti is, and some people don't, it is a cookie that is really dry, almost stale, that is most commonly eaten while drinking coffee. I realize that description may not make you want any. Let me see if I can find a better definition. According to wikipedia, biscotti is "a twice-baked cake made dry and crunchy through cutting the loaf of dough while still hot and fresh from baking in the oven." That sounds better, doesn't it? I have never tried making it before. I have tried eating it before. My friend Autumn has made some in the past, and hers had chocolate. It was great with coffee. So when I saw this recipe I knew I wanted to make it, and since Steve doesn't like pecans or coffee, I made it to bring to work. We drink a lot of coffee there. Also bringing treats in to work is all a part of my plan to make them like me at my new job. So far I have made Taco Dip (which I believe is on the blog) and now the biscotti. I think my plan is working pretty good, both have gotten good reviews. One sweet lady at work even said I could open a bakery because they were so good. Now that is good feedback. I didn't tell her that the first ingredient in this recipe is a cake mix, but probably I should have. But you will see that you add a lot to it, and it's a time-consuming recipe, so this totally counts as something you make yourself. It's from the April/May 2011 Simple & Delicious.

Butter Pecan Biscotti
1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) butter pecan cake mix
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup white baking chips
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp brewed coffee
1 cup finely chopped pecans

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, flour, butter, eggs, syrup, coffee granules, and vanilla until well blended (dough will be very thick). Fold in chips. Divide dough in half. On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each portion into a 12x2 inch rectangle (you can put both of them on the same cookie sheet). Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Place pan on wire rack. When cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-inch slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and coffee. Drizzle over biscotti; sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until set. Store in airtight container.

These were really good. They almost tasted butterscotch-y. So so good. Everybody liked them. There were none left, and it was a fairly big batch. Even though it took a while to make (bake it cool it bake it cool it glaze it let it set) it wasn't difficult, just time consuming. So this one is most definitely one I am keeping. Also I did make a general announcement to my co-workers that "it starts with a cake mix" when someone asked me how hard it was to make. It didn't seem to change the way they felt about me, so phew. I don't know if Charlotte still thinks I could open a bakery, but it's okay because I don't really plan to anyway.

No comments: