Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Creamy Mocha Frozen Dessert

I wish this had a more creative name. Because I made it to bring to work. And when my work friends say, "what is this called?" I had to say that long, descriptive, yet boring name. This is from the TOH Seasons cookbook, and it was yet another coffee-containing dessert that I wanted to make that Steve wouldn't like and that I knew I shouldn't make and eat all on my own.

Creamy Mocha Frozen Dessert
2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tbsp hot water
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs (I used about 1 row out of 3 in the Oreo package...so I have the rest left to offer as a consolation prize to the fam, if they get mad that I made a dessert they won't like to bring to share with people they don't know)
3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 pkg (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened (I got 1 regular and 1 fat free...so less guilt)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 carton (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed (seems like Cool Whip has been frequently featured lately on NRN)

In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water; set aside. In another bowl, combine cookie crumbs, 1/2 cup pecans, and butter. Pat into 13x9 baking dish.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Blend in coffee, milk, and chocolate syrup. Fold in Cool Whip and spread over crust. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top. Freeze. 24 servings (or far fewer hungry hospital workers, to include nurses, CNAs, secretaries, and 1 nursing supervisor).

This was really good. Everybody liked it. To quote a few coworkers...Aundra said "it's so good I want to lay down in it and roll around in it." Sheila the Spy said "I don't know, it was really good. I don't know what else to say." Jamie said "scrumdiddlyumptious." And then she looked up how to spell the word, but I had spelled it right already. Sharon said "you can bake for me anytime." So I said, "can I no-bake for you? Because that was a no-bake dessert." She said okay. I left the only remaining piece wrapped up in the freezer for Michelle to eat tonight. We pretty much universally agreed that the crust should be doubled...and it was very thinly spread when I made it. The crust tasted so good, it definitely seemed like it needed more.

No comments: